A small number of people using Snow Leopard have found that, when they try to install the full game from the CD, the installer quits with the error "This installer requires admin privileges to run." This happens even when they have admin privileges. This problem has inflicted a large number of installers and, alas, some of Spiderweb Software's games are affected.
There are two workarounds for this problem. One of them is to install the demo and request a new registration code here:
Getting registration keys is always free.
There is a second, more involved workaround. Insert the game CD and carry out the following steps:
1. Open the Install file. A window will open with the game art and an installer with the game icon. It will have a name like "Install Avernum 6 (Full)". Drag this installer onto your desktop.
2. Hold down the Control key and click on the installer. A menu will come up. Select "Show Package Contents."
3. Open the Contents folder. Open the Resources folder.
4. Open the file "installscript" If it asks you what program to open it with, choose TextEdit.
5. Scroll down until you find these lines:
and change them to
<key>Require Admin </key>
6. Save and quit TextEdit. The installer should now work.
This is an ugly situation and an ugly workaround, and we apologize for it. We wish this hasn't happened, we will do our best to make sure CDs printed in the future don't have the problem, and we desperately hope that Apple fixes this problem in an upcoming operating system update. The installers are written in a format provided by Apple, and their refusing to run even on an account with proper privileges is a serious problem.
Please let us know if you have any problems, and we will do our best to get you up and running.